Recent research from the University of Western Austrailia, has shown that dog owners are not only less stressed but 68% of are more likely to achieve the recommended level of physical activity than non-dog owners.
- Dogs never say No to a walk / jog. Dogs never cancel appointments or have bad days and they always have a huge smile on their face.
- Dogs don’t slow you down. Dogs spent hours getting ready for a running session or complain that you are moving too fast although the call of nature may have you waiting a couple a minutes during your sprint.
- Dogs don’t complain. Dogs don’t complain of you are late, early, tired, sick, or angry.
- Dogs don’t remember if you cancelled a walk appointment with them. Sometimes, you are tired and lazy and are home from work late, a dog won’t hold it against you.
- Dogs can compete with you to sprint fast. You can sprint races with your dog. Depending on your fitness level and your dog type, sprint races with your dog can increase your motivation to push yourself and hence continual improvement.
- Dogs attract people with other dogs who also use them as running partners. While it may be annoying when your dog goes crazy when he or she sees another dog, at least it may open an opportunity to meet a greet someone else struggling with their training partner. Birds of a feather flock together and so your dog may be the catylst for a new opportunity in your life.
Dogs are beautiful animals and they can improve your life physically, mentally and spiritually. If you have a dog, and you have been neglecting yourself, grab the lead and head to the park and open up your lungs to some fresh air.